In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

University of Maine at Presque Isle Library

University of Maine at Presque Isle Library Facts

Founded:
The University of Maine at Presque Isle was chartered in 1903. The Library itself as it now stands was not constructed and dedicated until 1975. the previous library residing in Preble Hall.

Collections:
The library at the University of Maine at Presque Isle houses a regular collection of periodicals, located on the ground floor, and books, located on the second. The basement of the library houses a computer lab as well as the Special Collections Room. This room holds the University Archives as well as the Aroostock County History Collection. This collection comprises of town histories, annual reports and genealogical information.

Facilities:
The original library at the University of Maine at Presque Isle was located in Preble Hall and was called the Ardelle M. Tozier Library, named after the school's first librarian. The growing size of the institution corresponded with a growth in its library's collection, and soon the location in Preble Hall was no longer fitting to house the University's library.

A new library building was completed and dedicated in 1975, though the new library bore no name at its dedication.